Friday, April 3, 2015

Revisiting my Learning Goals

        At the beginning of this course, we were asked to identify some learning goals. Only having the syllabus and title of the course to go by, I came up with some things I hoped to accomplish that I believed would transpire over the course of the class. Here is what I came up with then;

        In this course, I trust that I will enhance my skills in information fluency, learning new tools and strategies that will help me become more fluent, as well as help me teach students. I expect to explore inquiry learning in more depth, learning how to complement hands-on tasks and digital learning. I would like to learn the best way to network with other teachers to get new strategies without feeling like I don't have time to do so. Throughout my program, I have learned of the many, many different resources out there, and it can be overwhelming at times, as having so many resources can sometimes be as frustrating as having no resources at all. In taking this course, I hope to become discerning about resources given and explored, to be able to determine which ones would best suit me in my learning and my students in their learning, so no one becomes overwhelmed; or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, so no one puts in a lot of footwork without getting a lot of meaning from it.

         After reviewing the resources in this week's module, I really do think my goals are on target. While I never had a name for it, it would appear as though I already have the "growth mindset" and my learning goals reflect that. They are not questions that can easily been answered with a fact or a yes or no; which, according ti Wilhelm, are not good questions. My learning goals involve thinking and processing information, skills that line up with inquiry learning and the growth mindset. As I learned about the growth mindset, it seemed to line up with inquiry learning. Each builds upon the other. I found it incredibly interesting, actually, to learn from Eduardo Briceno in his TED talk, that there are actually physiological differences in the brain related to each type of mindset, fixed vs. growth. It was truly fascinating to learn that the way we perceive our learning affects the way we can take in new learning. I suppose in a way, I knew this, in working with my students. The ones who feel like they "can't," do not learn as much or as quickly as those who think they can. 

       Additionally, without realizing it, I do encourage a growth mindset in my classroom. I always tell them about trying, and how a great deal of learning comes from the process. I remind them that every mistake is an opportunity to learn, going so far as to tell them that many times, the ones who make the mistakes end up learning more. We learn about George Washington Carver in first grade, and one of his quotes has become well used in our classroom, even quoted by the children themselves; "There is no shortcut to achievement." We say that to remind each other that we must constantly try and strive for success, taking every opportunity to learn. Even at the young age of 6, students are already being taught and adapting the fixed mindset, and I wonder if it is related to socio-economic levels, and I'd be interested to see if research supports this. Students who come from poorer households, or households were there is little encouragement to learn, and more emphasis on what the report card says, (or no emphasis at all) tend to have the fixed mindset, whereas students who come from homes where learning is valued, and parents work with students on homework and learning activities tend to more easily accept and develop a growth mindset.

       Going to back to my own learning goals, I suggested that I'd like to explore inquiry learning in more depth, and how to complement hands-on learning with digital learning and literacy. This course has been helping me do exactly that, and having a growth mindset is essential to achieving these goals, as they are goals related to processing information, rather than simply the recalling of facts and guidelines. I also said in one of my goals that "I hope to become discerning about resources given and explored, to be able to determine which ones would best suit me in my learning and my students in their learning." This goal very nearly mirrors how digital fluency is defined in the article "21st Century Information Fluency Cycle," stating that it "is the ability to find, evaluate, and use digital information effectively, efficiently, and ethically."

      I believe I am making fabulous progress towards achieving my learning goals this term and that the types of goals I have developed fall right in line with the idea of a growth mindset with inquiry learning principles. 

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. I think that you created some good learning goals for yourself to accomplish throughout course. It was interesting to me, learning about the different mindsets. Young students do tend have more of a fixed mindset, but I think it is our job as educators to help them change their way of thinking. My students come from low socio-economic status and I find it more challenging with those students to change their way of thinking. I would also be interested to see, if research evidence supports that students with lower SES adapt more of the fixed mindset behaviors. It may be challenging but as educators we need to help all students change their way of thinking, so that they can achieve their full learning potential according to E. Briceno in the Power of Belief video. I hope you continue to strive towards your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed reading about the different mindsets. For me, it was very easy to place myself in the growth mindset. I think it's very important for educators especially to be within the growth mindset, because, like you stated, younger children are more apt to have a fixed mindset. It's our job to 'pull' them out of that particular mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I am looking forward to complementing hands-on tasks with digital learning, and most importantly, building a network of peers with which to share information. This class has certainly taught me a lot already. I'm just trying to see which methods will work best for me so that I don't get that feeling of being overwhelmed by too many resources.

    ReplyDelete